Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Presidents Day Fun

Valentines Day is over and we are now looking at Presidents Day. Presidents Days is always the third Monday of the month. This year it falls on George Washington's birthday.
Founded in 1880, President's Day actually used to be called "Washington's Birthday" since it began as a way to honor George Washington, the first U.S. President. About a century later in the 1980s, advertisers coined the term "President's Day" and made it a day to honor all the past presidents of the United States.
The cool thing about Presidents day is all the cool stuff we as a family can learn about the Presidents, but its an easy holiday. I use my Independence Day decorations, and keep them handy for Labor Day, Veterans Day, Memorial Day and several more spread throughout the year.
My Patriotic colors are often on display.
This year I tend to be making a lot of streamers. So I have purchased the items I need for a crepe paper streamer flag Pendant and crepe paper flag streamer, and a crepe paper streamer windsock. After spreading it all out on my table I began wishing I would have use vinyl or nylon, to make it more weather resistant.But for February, I didnt think about  July. Mental note to self, Look for suitable supplies at thrift stores.

For foods I have chosen simple tasty favorites. Red white and blue Nacho Chili,   Blueberry Cherry Cheesecake and Raspberry Tea.

For Books, I happen to have a copy of The Presidents of the United States book I picked up at a thrift store. During craft time, or after dinner, is a good time to pass the book to each reader.I keep a United States Map Placemat handy to Locate the birthplaces , adding an element of education, in the mix.

Activities are printable sheets I like at

http://score.rims.k12.ca.us/score_lessons/special_events/presidents_day/

http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~maggieoh/Pd/prindex.html