Sunday, March 20, 2011

Rainbow Cupcakes

We don't normally make a big deal about St. Patrick's Day. I mean, we wear green so we don't get pinched, but other than that it just isn't a big holiday for us. BUT, when I saw these cupcakes in Family Fun magazine, I knew that I had to make them! They were pretty easy to make {though very time consuming} and the end product is well worth the effort!
I started with a cake mix and store bought frosting.
I used my Wilton food color gels to color about 2/3 cup of batter with each color of the rainbow: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple.I mixed the cake batter and color together in plastic cups.I used white icing {as clouds} and topped each cupcake off with a gold coin.And the colors turned out amazing! I think one of my favorite parts was the rainbow left on the cupcake wrapper!After making a few rainbow mini cupcakes and a few rainbow regular cupcakes, I got lazy and just did mini cupcakes in solid colors.
I figured I could line them up to look like a rainbow:)
******************************************
The boys and I also made some SUPER cute shamrocks!I cut three hearts per person with my Cricut and hot glued them together in the shape of a shamrock and the glued on a stem.Then the boys used crepe paper and decorated their shamrocks! SUPER easy and we made it with stuff that we had around the house.